Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmastime is here...

I feel like writing a random blog tonight.  Mostly because I'm hanging out with a bunch of people that are studying, but I don't have any homework.  And I have absolutely no idea how that happened.  Seems like over the past couple of weeks, I've done nothing but homework.  And it kinda sucks.  Thank God for the end of the semester.  I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice in taking another class.  Ah, at least I'll graduate a semester early.

Started thinking about grad school not too long ago.  It's weird that it's less than a year away.  Two years ago I wasn't even sure I'd make it through college.

Grad school's scary.  Especially with the prospect of going to a secular university.  I didn't even go to a secular high school... or middle school... OR elementary school.  And then there's my field of people who are probably as delusional as most of their clients.  A field with guys like Freud... oh Freud.  Now THAT guy had issues.  I don't know if many of you four people that read my blog have actually looked at Freud's life.  His life pretty much mirrors his theory.  You know that whole Oedipus complex thing, where the little boy falls in lust with his mother and wants to kill his father,  but is afraid of his father finding out that he loves his mother and then cuts off his man-parts?  I'm pretty sure Freud suffered from that one too.  He was a momma's boy, through and through.  He lived with his mother until her death, if I remember correctly.  It's odd how a lot of modern psychologists still hold to the guy that developed his theory by analyzing himself.  I'm all for self-awareness, but that's just a little ridiculous.

ANYWAY... Grad school scares me.  When did I get old enough for grad school?  I'm about to turn twenty-one in just over a week.  The scary thing is, I barely remember seventeen!  

For that matter, when did I get old enough for people younger than me to get married?!  I was invited to THREE weddings over the Christmas break.  THREE!  Over Christmas!  That's what, just six weeks?  And it seems like everyone around me is getting engaged too.  And I keep wondering, when did this happen?  When did I become an adult?  I don't even remember it happening.  It's like someone flipped a switch and said, "Okay, you're an adult!"  No seamless transition, no warning, no nothing.

So I just realized that I've talked a lot about stuff that's completely irrelevant from the title.  Shows you just how random of a mood I'm in.  CHRISTMAS TIME IS HERE!!!!!!

I'm so excited for Christmas.  This is by far my favorite time of the year.  For some reason, and I know this is going to sound really naive, but everyone just seems happier this time of year.  Forget about all the crazy shoppers on Black Friday or the week before Christmas.  I don't know... there's just this sense of joy and expectation that starts right before Thanksgiving and continues through Christmas.  It's this excitement that sort of hangs in the atmosphere.

I haven't quite figured out if it's the expectation of presents, or family, or food, or just the thrill that comes with celebration.  Maybe it's the carols.  Christmas carols rock.  I love playing Christmas carols on my guitar.  Aaannnyyway... I haven't quite figured out what makes everyone so happy this year.  I know people are inherently selfish, so it's probably not the joy of giving.  Maybe it's the joy of getting...... I know people aren't all religious, so it can't be the joy of celebrating the birth of Jesus or the Hanukkah.  Not everyone has a family, so it can't be the joy of gathering with friends and family.  Not everyone likes the cold, so it can't be the snow... heck we don't even get snow here in Texas!

I really can't figure it out.  And it's going to bug me.  

I know what makes this such an exciting time of year for me.  For me, it's all the things that I mentioned.  I'm a human, so I'm inherently selfish too, and I fully admit that I love getting gifts.  But at the same time, I love giving gifts too... I like it when I make people happy, even if they don't like what I get them.  I'm religious, so celebrating the birth of my Savior brings me so much joy, remembering that He had to be born in order to die for my sins and be raised to life again.  I love my friends and family, and Christmas gives us an excuse to take a break from our busy lives to catch up and find out what's going on with everybody.  I even love the cold!

Maybe I shouldn't try to figure it out.  Maybe I should just sink back into my naive little world and enjoy everyone's "happiness" during this time of year.

No comments: